Can I fill in the ditch in my front yard?


Ditches that are located in the road right of way are typically there for drainage purposes. If you would like to place a culvert or pip in the ditch it must be approved by the City Engineer's Office. A construction permit would have to be approved. The Construction Permits are available on the City of Evansville webpage www.evansvillegov.org (City Engineer/Permits and Construction/ Construction Permits). There are no fees for the permits, however, a detailed drawing showing the location of the work, the typeof work, type of materials used etc. must be provided with the application. In addition drainage calculations must be provided to support the pipe size that is being requested.