What is an encroachment permit and when do I need one?


An encroachment permit is a permit that is issued by the City Engineer's Office for any building, structure or obstacle that would be placed, constructed or built in the City of Evansville's street right of way. Any type a private property owner wants to locate a fence, shrubbery, sign or other obstacle in t e right of way of the street it must be approved by the City Engineer's Office in order to assure that the encroachment will not interfere with the future improvements of the roadway and to assure that it will not have any adverse effect on the traffic flow or site distance. The Encroachment Permits are available on the City of Evansville's Webpage www.evansvillegov.org (City Engineer/permits and construction/encroachment permit). There are no fees for the permits, however, a detailed drawing showing the location of the work, the type of work, type of materials used etc. must be provided with the application. These applications are then presented to the Board of Public Works at their meetings which are held every Thursday at 1:30 PM in Room #301, Civic Center Complex, Evansville. IN