On July 27th and 28th, the Evansville Police Department will host the FIRST STEP Advanced Student Threat Assessment and Intervention Response Program. FIRST STEP gives you the skills, materials, and confidence to quickly and effectively assess, intervene, and manage a student who has made a threat of violence.
This training is for Police Officers, School Resource Officer, Teachers, School Administrators, Counselors, Residential Life Coordinators as well as anyone else involved in the education and safety of students.
Every student who is planning to attack a school has stepped onto The Path to Violence. When this occurs, the best way to ensure the immediate and long term safety of your school community is to guide that student off The Path to Violence and back to the person he used to be and can be again.
FIRST STEP helps you to do just that--assess, intervene, and guide students back to a safe place--back to the FIRST STEP--the place they were before they began to travel down The Path to Violence.
This two-day advanced professional development course gives you 12 new skills to stop a school attack, change students' lives, as well as to increase your personal growth and enhance your professional worth.
1. Implement effective and realistic techniques to save lives
2. Distinguish normal from threatening behaviors
3. Identify indicators of imminent or impending danger
4. Assess (read) student behaviors and determine their true risk level
5. Predict type & intensity of future student behaviors & calculate potential risk
6. Utilize proactive and effective (included) intervention plans to lower the risk level
7. Administer effective discipline after a student has made a threat of violence
8. Integrate suspended and expelled students safely back into the school
9. Prevent stigmatizing students and alienating parents
10. Positively change the lives of students
11. Enhance your quality of life and raise your school's total climate
12. Protect your school and yourself against civil liability
FIRST STEP can be used as a stand-alone program or to supplement your existing procedures!
Those who have these skills are invaluable members of their community and profession!
For more INFORMATION & to REGISTER online go to http://peoplearetheprize.com/_pages/classes/first-step-student-threat-assessment-program.html or visit People are the Prize at www.peoplearetheprize.com.